Friday, January 1, 2010

The 1960s Quilt

This story begins around 4 years ago when my husband decided to buy a motorcycle. He may be chagrined to learn that the story of a quilt starts with him, but here it is in black and white...and we all know that everything we read is absolutely true.

So Chris decided to buy a motorcycle. I wasn't totally on board--partially due to safety concerns, but also because it takes me some time to come to terms with spending money on extras like that. When I finally accepted the fact that it was going to happen, I decided to allay any guilt Chris might be feeling by adding my own big ticket item onto bill.

I am a quilter. I love textures and textiles, and as any quilter can attest, there comes a point in every true quilter's life where you are facing a pile of quilt tops and you must decide:

1.) do I find a way to quilt the things all by myself?

or

2.) do I send my quilt tops out to be quilted by a long-arm quilter?

Chris' motorcycle allowed me a wonderful way to choose option one. I was a bit afraid, however, of ruining my quilt tops with my amatuer quilting, so I purchased an old quilt top on eBay for a few dollars. I quickly found out that it is far from ideal to begin quilting with poorly constructed patchwork--which is exactly what I had purchased--and so this unfinished quilt got set aside.

Until now. I'm no expert at dating fabrics, but I'm guessing that these date from the late 50's/early 60's (opinions welcome). I am absolutely certain, though, that the creator of this quilt top was no expert at anything in the quilting process. Nothing was cut correctly, nothing was square; it was a mess. I cut a mountain of strings off of it, then pressed and quilted--with nary a care for how many tucks and folds would be in the final product. I didn't even try to square it up before stitching the binding on.

And the result? I love it. The fabrics are fun and quirky, and believe it or not, it's kind of hard to see the plethora of mistakes. And it went quick--always a plus. Now I have a quilt to match my new [old] house.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

sitemeter