Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Caught You!

Melinda is my reluctant reader. In fact, this summer she decided to set the stage for her first year homeschooling by making "I hate reading" her mantra for a solid week. The first thing I did, of course, was make sure that she was reading every single day. I went through all of our 'young reader' books and organized them from easiest to hardest. Wanting to build her confidence, I purposely did not ask her to read anything that was even slightly difficult for her. She started reading easy books to Audrey every day. At first there was some sighing and grumbling, but after a few days she was doing it willingly. Today I found her in her room laying on the floor reading a book all by herself and of her own accord! Boy, do I wish I had a picture! From the looks of it, however, there will be plenty more opportunities to catch her reading. There's a big smile on my face today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

sitemeter