Monday, August 11, 2008

A Glimpse of Heaven

I love how kids understand God. My Audrey, especially, seems to have some incredible insights.

Yesterday I was making a pie crust and had one of my feet propped up on a step-stool. Audrey climbed up on the step-stool and asked me if she could sit on my leg. I told her no, that it might make me lose my balance and fall. She informed me that if I did, she would save my life. When I asked her how she would do that, this is what she replied: "When you start to fall, I will hold your hand. That's what God does. He holds your hand and saves your life. And everything is okay."

That brought tears to my eyes. Oh, to have the insight of a child! The lines between the physical world and the spiritual are drawn in our minds, and the spiritual is often set aside so that we may more easily accomplish mundane daily tasks. I think that's one of the reasons I love the preschool/kindergarten age so much. The child is old enough to communicate, and young enough to be uninhibited by the limitations of the physical world. They provide a rare glimpse, for an adult, into heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

sitemeter